Frequently Asked Questions
This is free?
How often will there be new content?
This needs to be a calm experience for the contributors too. The contributors are not making content full time. They have jobs, friends and family; all of which have priority over this project. It is also not in our vision to make loads of material. New content is made when people have time for it and when inspiration strikes. Inspiration doesn't work on a deadline and the calm will only happen if people aren't stressed.
So we won't promise anything.
That said; we have a mailing list that is used for new material announcements. You can sign up for that here.
What is your marketing plan?
There is none. The world of online marketing is messed up and we don't want to take part in the tracking fever. Instead we intend to spend the effort on just making amazing content and letting word of mouth pick up from there.
What are you tracking on this website?
We don't really have much interest in tracking because this is a distraction from making amazing content. That said ...
We do like having view counts on videos so we get a hint of popularity and what might be trending. Part of this is handled by vimeo (not youtube) and another part is handled by plausible.io (not google). This tracking service does anonymous tracking of the pages (they have a concious data policy which can be read here).
One of the great features of plausible is that we can be transparant in what data we collection. If you want to see what we're tracking, you can see everything that we see here.
Can we get "darkmode"?
It's somewhere on the todo list but content has a higher priority. In the meantime you may enjoy the darkreader browser extension.
What tools are behind this website?
There's a lot of tools out there but we'll list a few below.
- The frontend is made with jinja, bootstrap and tailwindcss.
- The front-end is hosted on netlify and the videos are hosted on vimeo.
- The front-end tracking is done via plausible.io.
- The CI/testing is done via gitlab.
- The emails are sent via tinyletter.
- Many icons on this website are from the nounproject. We are a paying member.
There's a few tools that we use while making the videos too.
- We use screenflow for most of the recordings. The app is a suprisingly buggy but works well enough most of the time.
- We use screenbrush for drawing over the screen while coding. This app is highly recommended.
- Bigger diagrams in our videos are drawn with free sketchbook app.
We also have some hardware that we use.
- We use a wacom one tablet for drawing. We found it to be a very nice bit of hardware because you can carry it easily in your bag.
- We use a yeti usb microphone for our recording. We also have a rode nt microphone for when we're on the road.
Currently we use the mac ecosystem heavily, odds are that we'll switch to a linux based system in the future.
Why are the videos so slow to load?
It could be your internet connection. If that is the case you might want to select a lower video resolution.
It has also been suggested that it might be that adblock slows down vimeo. We can't say for sure but unblocking this website seems to make an improvement.
Can we get something mobile friendly?
We're optimising for the desktop experience since that's what you'll be programming from anyway. You can definately see the website on mobile, but you may need to scroll a bit more. An better experience for mobile is on the to-do list but with low priority.
Is this site down?
You wouldn't be reading this if it were. We do ping the site for uptime and the dashboard for this is viewable here.